The nervous system is formed of two parts that are integrally linked with each other. The brain and the nervous system has multiple functions that are vital for normal functioning of the body.
Functions of Nervous System
- Awareness. It makes the individual aware of the surroundings.
- Sensations. With the help of receptors and sense organs, nervous system has developed a number of sensations.
- Control. The functioning of different parts of the body is controlled by nervous system.
- Coordination. It coordinates the functioning of interrelated parts.
- Memory. Nervous system retains the memory of past experiences and impressions.
- Interpretation. It interprets changes and happening on the basis of memory and reasoning.
- Involuntary Functions. A section of nervous system called autonomous nervous system guides the different types of involuntary functions, e.g., peristalsis.
- Reflex Actions. They are nerve based immediate protective responses to certain stimuli.